How to reset password of Cisco Router or password recovery procedure for any Cisco Router. Hello Friends,
Welcome to my YouTube channel "Learn Network & Security".
Today's topic is "How to reset password of Cisco Router or password recovery procedure for any Cisco Router".
Below are the steps of Password Recovery Procedure-
1. Go to ROMMON mode of the Router. There are mainly three
ways to go the the ROMMON mode of the Router-
a. Switch off or shutdown the router and remove the compact
flash and then switch on the router and reinsert the compact
b. Reload the router and while booting press Ctrl + Pause Break
button from keyboard. OR
c. Reload the router and right click on header of Putty and then
go to special command/ break.
2. change the configuration register value of the router from
ROMMON mode. Command for that is: "confreg 0x2142". This
step bypasses the startup configuration where passwords are
3. type reset at the rommon mode. The router reboots, but
ignores the saved configuration.
4. Type no after each setup question, or press Ctrl-C in order to
skip the initial setup procedure.
5. Type enable in user mode.
You are in enable mode and should see the Router# prompt.
6. Type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config in
order to copy the nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) into memory.
Warning- Do not enter copy running-config startup-
config or write. These commands erase your startup
7. Issue the show running-config command.
The show running-config command shows the configuration of
the router. In this configuration, the shutdown command
appears under all interfaces, which indicates all interfaces are
currently shut down. In addition, the passwords (enable
password, enable secret, vty, and console passwords) are in
either an encrypted or unencrypted format. You can reuse
unencrypted passwords. You must change encrypted passwords
to a new password.
8. Type configure terminal.
The hostnameconfig)# prompt appears.
9. Type enable password (password) in order to change the
enable secret password. For example:
hostname(config)#enable password cisco
10. Issue the no shutdown command on every interface that you
If you issue a show ip interface brief command, every interface
that you want to use should display up up.
11. Type config-register (configuration_register_setting) . Where
(configuration_register_setting) is either the value you recorded
in step 2 or 0x2102 . For example:
12. Press Ctrl-z or end in order to leave the configuration mode.
The hostname# prompt appears.
13. Type write memory or copy running-config startup-config in
order to commit the changes.
Thanks for watching this video. Please don't forget to Subscribe Like & comment.
Tags: How to reset password of Cisco Router or password recovery procedure for any Cisco Router, cisco router, password recovery, password reset, easy prcedure, change the configuration register value, reset the configuration register value of cisco router, break the password of cisco router, ccna lab, ccnp lab, ccie lab, forget the password of cisco router, recover the password of cisco router, very simple steps, to recover the password, must watch