Faster RuneScape Loading Screens - Setting Up RAMDisk. Credit to this fgt for figuring this out:
Not that I actually still play RS for XP or anything, but this is quite cool. Basically it allocates part of your RAM to hold all of the RS cache.
1. Download and install
2. Configure your RAMDisk (settings shown in video)
3. Format the disk (diskmgmt.msc -- Disk Management windows tool)
4. Put the .jagex_cache_32 folder on your virtual RAMDisk
5. Delete .jagex_cache_32 located on your main hard drive (You'll need to close RuneScape in order to do this)
6. mklink /D C:\.jagex_cache_32 E:\.jagex_cache_32 (Into cmd, run as administrator. The E drive may vary depending on which drive letter you set your RAMDisk as during formatting. The location of .jagex_cache_32 folder on your main hard drive will also vary.)
This also seems to make banked items load much more quickly.
To ensure that the symbolic link you created with mklink works correctly, make sure RuneScape still can find the cache. Make sure logging in is just as normal, and opening inventory tabs is normal. If you have to redownload the cache, you did something wrong. Check the contents of E:\.jagex_cache_32\runescape\ and check the time of last modified. If everything is correct, the date modified should be quite recently, probably the last time you opened or closed RuneScape.
It might be necessary to backup your .jagex_cache_32 folder to somewhere on your hard drive.
There are some other useful ways to speed up loading screens that you should use to complement the RAMDisk. Setting java.exe (or jagexlauncher.exe) to high priority in windows task manager is a good idea. Also, playing in safe mode speeds up loading screens, but will decrease your fps. Safe mode is only a good idea when doing Pyramid Plunder, staking, or training Dungeoneering
Tags: Faster RuneScape Loading Screens - Setting Up RAMDisk, runescape, loading, screens, slow, foot