Install Windows and Ubuntu on same HDD without loosing Windows, Dual Boot. In this video I will show you how to install Ubuntu along Windows 7 without losing any data.
I will do this in VirtualBox, throughout the video I will pause for long installation.
I will number steps:
Go to Ubuntu.com Click on Ubuntu Desktop and download Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS - LTS Mean Long Term Support -
Please see video : How to create bootable USB with Ubuntu On it : Link
1. Install Windows 7 or have Windows 7 already installed
2. Click on start and type in Computer and click on Computer Management
3. Go to Disk Management
4. Select Disk, Right Click on it choose Shrink a Basic
5. In Field "Enter the amount of space to Shrink in MB I will choose 25 GB - 26442 MB - Click OK
6. Once Empty space shows up, do not format empty space leave it as is
7. Reboot your computer and boot with Bootable USB
8. When you boot with Ubuntu you will see screen Welcome click on Install Ubuntu
8. On next screen click Continue
9. Choose something else - Then Continue
10. Find where if says free space then click on + sign
11. You will be prompt with Create Partition choose Use as : swap
* swap area should be same amount of RAM you have.
* in this video I will set 2 GB = Click OK
12. Next click on free space and click on + sign
13. Create Partition in Use as Choose : Ext4 Journalling file system
VERY IMPORTANT set Mount Point to / - which means root -
* set size to all of of free space then click OK
14. Click install Now
* Installation can take up to 1hr depends on speed of Computer and read media such as USB, DVD etc
15. Once installation is done you will get message
Installation compete click = Restart Computer
At the end of the video I have shown both OSes working.
You tube video is here : Link
Tags: Install Windows and Ubuntu on same HDD without loosing Windows, Dual Boot, Ubuntu (Operating System), Windows, Computer, Tutorial, Linux, Desktop, Basic, Windows 7, X64, Software, Operating System (Software Genre), Hard Disk Drive (Invention), dual boot