Audacity Tutorial How to Slow Down Music for Practice Remix and Mashup | Record Tutorial. For many more Audacity Tutorials...
This 'how to record' in Audacity tutorial / lesson gives step by step instructions on how to slow down the speed of a song using Audacity.
Slowing down the speed, or tempo can be very useful for learning a new song or piece of music which is too fast for you. Slowing down a song's tempo is also useful when doing remixes or mashups.
Audacity has the ability to slow down or speed up a song with an effect called "Change Tempo." This effect will change the beats per minute of a song (tempo) without effecting the pitch of the music.
Follow these steps to change the tempo of your song using Audacity.
1. Open your music in Audacity
2. Select the section of the music you want to change. If you want to change the entire piece the go EDIT-SELECT-ALL
3. Go to the EFFECTS menu and select CHANGE TEMPO (not CHANGE SPEED)
4. You will now see the Change Tempo window.
5. You can use the slider to choose a percentage you wish to speed up or slow down you music, or you can manually put in the percentage.
6. You can click PREVIEW to hear a portion of how your music will sound.
7. When you are done click OK
8. If the tempo is not correct DO NOT do another tempo chance. First UNDO what you have already done and start over. This can be done by going EDIT-UNDO
Difference in CHANGE TEMPO and CHANGE SPEED
Change speed is much like speeding up a vinyl record. As you increase the speed both the pitch and tempo will increase. This means that your song will sound HIGHER and FASTER. Unless you want your recording to sound like chipmunks you need to use CHANGE TEMPO.
Audacity is a free, easy to use sound recorder and editor. Audacity may be simple to use, but very powerful in its features.
This series of easy lessons is meant to help solve the most common issues faced by musicians using Audacity to record their music.
Audacity is a great educational tool for use in the music room. There are countless exciting ways to use Audacity with your students.
Tags: Audacity Tutorial How to Slow Down Music for Practice Remix and Mashup | Record Tutorial, audacity tutorial, Audacity, How, to, Edit, audio, music, recording, editing, mp3, education, wav, sound, production, diy, manipulate, Tutorial, slow down, slow, practice, solo, guitar, remix, mashup, studio, multitrack, multi, dub, overdub, andrew, mercer