Don't Forget The Scroll Lock. In an interview from the early 1980s, PC magazine asked an executive of keyboard manufacturer Key Tronic what was the key's purpose, to which the executive replied: "I don't know, but we put it on ours, too".
The scroll lock key dates back from the original IBM keyboard and is a feature that other keyboard manufacturers simply adopted in the years after. It was initially intended to modify the behavior of the arrow keys. More specifically, it would toggle between two different modes of scrolling. When the scroll lock was on, the arrow keys would scroll the content of the entire window. When it was off, the arrows would only move the cursor.
But this is not the only thing the scroll lock is known to be used for. Depending on the operating system or application that is utilizing it, it can have other functions as well.
Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for ''fair use'' for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
The author of this video believes in good faith that it constitutes fair use as per 17 U.S.C § 107.
Sources and References:
- PC Magazine: ''The PC's Keys'' (November 1982, page 175) - https://books.google.ba/books?id=vy3cBZkjbZgC&lpg=PP1&pg=RA2-PA347&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true
- PC Magazine: ''Key Tronic's Soft Touch'' (January 1983, page 347) - https://books.google.ba/books?id=vy3cBZkjbZgC&lpg=PP1&pg=RA2-PA347&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=true
- Wikipedia: ''Scroll lock'' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_lock
- Tech Central: ''Evolutionary Leftovers'' - https://www.techcentral.co.za/evolutionary-leftovers/48151/
- Stack Exchange: ''Why do modern keyboards have Scroll Lock?'' - http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/64623/why-do-modern-keyboards-have-scroll-lock
- youtube.com/EverySteveJobsVideo: ''Steve Jobs on his legacy (1994)'' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zut2NLMVL_k&t=1s
Credit for the beautiful satellite dish time-lapse footage goes to Beachfront:
Used under CC Licence - https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
-Chrome Experiments used as BRoll: https://www.chromeexperiments.com/experiment/black-rain
► SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/channelhotmonkey
► FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/Hotmonkey000
► GOOGLE +: https://plus.google.com/+ChannelHotmonkey/posts
Music: ‘’Righteous’’, ‘’Rollin Through Osaka’’, ’Clout Wheels’’(YouTube Audio Library)
- Comfortable Mystery 2 - Film Noire by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Tags: Don't Forget The Scroll Lock, scroll lock, ibm pc, old technology, scroll lock microsoft excel, scroll lock function, IBM, IBM personal computer, PC keyboard, PC Keys, CHM Tech, obsolete tech, key tronic, PC Magazine, Scroll lock key, what does the scroll lock do